Wild in Wellness: Alison Wu and Her RANGE-Inspired Smoothie
Let me ask you a few of questions. What have you eaten today? How much water have you had? No, La Croix doesn’t count. How long have you been sitting at your desk? What are your plans to get active after work? If you’re anything like me, it’s already 2:00 p.m. and you’ve had about two cups of coffee, a fried egg on toast for breakfast, and snacked on a carrot and yogurt, which inevitably turns into your lunch. You’ve managed to drink at least two glasses of water, despite it being the middle of the day, and the only walk you’ve taken so far was to get to your studio about five hours ago.
By now you’re probably thinking, (a) “Lisa needs to get her stuff together” or (b) “Eek, that’s exactly what my work day looks like.” I’m being completely honest with you. I don’t have a set routine to ensure I’m eating the right foods each day or a fitness regimen to keep the machine that is my body in tip-top shape. But what I can tell you is that is changing.
With 2017 marking a major year for healthcare trends and awareness, we’re seeing a wellness community educating people like me and the rest of the RANGE team to eat better, move more and feel good from the inside out. In a new series entitled Wild in Wellness, we’ll be highlighting the creative people that are encouraging us to be our best selves through natural solutions, wild recipes and ingredients, and experimental practices. As we embark on our journeys of self-discovery through health awareness, we hope we can inspire you to do the same.
For our first installment of Wild in Wellness, we are so excited to celebrate and collaborate with stylist, recipe developer and smoothie queen, Alison Wu! Based in the Pacific Northwest, Alison has an eye for styling, pastel color palettes and an experimental approach to creating recipes. Known for her gorgeous layered smoothies, Alison invites audiences to find joy in pairing unlikely ingredients in innovative ways. For people like Alison, prepping and eating food isn’t a chore. It’s something to be celebrated and enjoyed, and we hope you feel that way about her delicious smoothie recipe below, which was developed especially for RANGE and its readers.
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons tocotrienols
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter or oil
- 3/4 cup hemp milk
- 2-3 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt, for layering
- Frozen raspberries and dried coconut chips for garnish
For the yellow layer:
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried mango
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
For the orange layer:
- 1 tablespoon goji berries
For the pink layer:
- 1 tablespoon raw beet, grated
1. Blend bananas, cashews, cauliflower, tocos, coconut butter or oil, milk and ice in a high-speed blender until smooth.
2. Separate evenly into three bowls. Blend additional ingredients into the bases to achieve the yellow, orange and pink layers.
3. Using a spoon, layer the coconut yogurt with the three smoothie layers. Top with desired garnishes and enjoy!
Images courtesy of Ali Wu.